Elections are often called “festivals of Democracy”. However, these festivals are not for everyone. You need to be a legitimate voter in order to take part in Elections. In India, all legitimate voters have their names in the voter’s list of the Election Commission of India. It is recommended that you should check your names in the voter’s list at least 10 days prior to the elections so that any ambiguities can be fixed.
It is no longer necessary to visit the election commission office to check your name on the voter list. You can do the same through the election commission website. Go through this article to know how you can check your name on the voter list.
Steps to check your name on the Voter List online
You should know that although Voter ID card acts a photo ID proof across India it is not enough for you to vote in Indian general elections. Many a time, a lot of voters have to face problems of not finding their names in the voter list at the time of the voting. To help such voters, the election commission has provided a portal by which a person can check his/ her name on the voter list online. The complete process of the same is explained below.
- First of all, you need to visit the official website of the election commission of India i.e. http://electoralsearch.in/
- On the official website, you will find two methods to search your name on the voter list i.e. “Search by Details” and “Search by EPIC No.
Find name on the voter list by Details – Name, Date of birth, etc.
- If you opt for the “Search by Details” method then you have to provide the following details accurately.
- Name of the voter
- Father’s Husband Name
- Date of birth
- Assembly Constituency
- Once you are done with entering the details, you need to fill in the captcha code that will appear at the bottom of your screen.
- Finally, click on the “Search” button.
- Now, your details should appear in the search result. You may now click on the search result to find complete information.
In case your name is not present on the database then you may contact the nearest electoral office and get your name registered.
Search name on the voter using EPIC number
This is the easier method to search your name on the voter ID list. However, you must have your EPIC number for the same.
- In this method, the first thing you need to do is select the “Search by EPIC No.” tab available on the top of the official website.
- Then, enter your “EPIC No.” and choose your state.
- Finally, you need to enter the captcha text and click on the “Search” button.
- Now, the information associated with your EPIC no. should appear on your screen.
If you can’t find any information then it is quite possible that your name might be missing from the voter list.
How to download voter list
Another effective method by which you can check your name is the voter list is by downloading the complete voter list. You just have to follow the steps given below.
- Firstly, you need to visit the official website through the following link – https://eci.gov.in/electoral-roll/link-to-pdf-e-roll/
- In the next step, you need to select the name of your state from the available list.
- Next, you have to choose the language in which you are looking to download the voter list.
- After that, you are required to on click on the “Main Roll” button and choose your “Assembly Constituency”.
- Once you are done with choosing the “Assembly Constituency”, you have to click on the voter list of your locality.
- The voter list will get downloaded in the form of a PDF file.
- Finally, you may open the downloaded PDF file and search your name by pressing “Ctrl + F” button on your keyboard.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question – 1: What information is available on the voter ID?
Answer: The voter list consists of the following information related to voters
- Voter ID Number
- Name of the Voter
- Father’s/ Husband Name
- House Number
- Age of the voter
Question – 2: How can I get myself registered as a voter?
Answer: You can apply for a new EPIC. By this, you will automatically get registered in the voter list. If you have an EPIC but your name is not on the voter list then you can visit the NVSP website and file a grievance.
Question – 3: I don’t know the name of my assembly constituency and EPIC number. How can I check if my name is on the voter list or not?
Answer: You may opt for the “Search by details” option on the official website and provide your name, father’s/ husband’s name, and Date of birth/ Age.
Question – 4: Is it possible to search your name in the voter list by SMS?
Answer: yes, users can also get ECI information through SMS as well. All they have to do is SMS “ECI” followed by details such as name, name of father/husband, locality, age or date of birth and gender separated by commas to “09223166166”
Question – 5: Is there any mobile app available by which I can check the voter list?
Answer: Yes, android users can install the application from the Mobile Seva AppStore of the Government.